Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question that has not been addressed in the list below, please contact us at our Main Center.

General FAQs

If you are a new client, at your first visit to Northside you are required to bring your health insurance card, plus a valid photo ID (e.g. valid driver’s license or state issued ID card)

Most Medicare HMOs, Medicaid HMOs, We also accept Self- Pay and some Commercial Insurances. Please contact our office at (813) 977-8700 select Option 3 to confirm whether we accept your insurance plan.

You may qualify for a State-Funding program but must meet eligibility criteria. To determine if you are eligible for funding,  please call our office at (813) 977-8700 select Option 3. 

Many insurance companies have a copay, deductible and/or co-insurance amount. In addition, certain charges may not be covered under your insurance plan. To confirm your responsibility under your insurance policy, please contact your insurance carrier and refer to the explanation of benefits they have provided. Look at your insurance card for contact information. 

We do have Spanish-speaking therapists.

Please see our full Plan for Providing Auxiliary Aids and Services to clients for the complete answer to this FAQ.

All co-payments are due at the time of service. You can pay in the following ways:
  • Pay by Mail
  • Pay in person at your next appointment
  • Pay over the Phone (813) 975-1796 – We accept MasterCard, Visa, Discover Card, Cash, or Check.

Please call (813) 975-1796 and arrange a payment agreement.

If your question is specific about the balance or an amount due, please call (813) 975-1796.
Please include the client’s full name and account number on payment:
Northside Behavioral Health Center
12512 Bruce B Downs Blvd
Tampa, FL 33612

At this time, we do not provide transportation. Medicaid may provide transportation, but you must check with your provider.

Our Services FAQs

Outpatient Services

We are unable to provide paperwork solely for SSI or disability. We can provide documents to assist in your application process with a signed release of information form. CSC Case Management can help file disability for individuals coming into the program.

We do not provide court-ordered assessments only, we can provide court-ordered assessments with follow up treatment” .If you are a child, our Medical Records Department can provide attendance record and release documents to the court with a release of information (signed by a guardian) or a judge’s court order.

Community Support Services

Any adult individual may be screened for our residential program by contacting the Residential Screener at (813) 972-2289.

Immediate Care Services

The Baker Act allows for involuntary examination – what some call emergency or involuntary commitment. It can be initiated by judges, law enforcement officers, physicians, or mental health professionals. There must be evidence that the person:

  • has a mental illness (as defined in the Baker Act),
  • is a harm to self,
  • is a harm to others, or
  • is self-neglectful (as defined in the Baker Act)

A person can be held for involuntary examination for up to 72 hours.  If there is no evidence that the patient is a danger to himself/herself or others, the psychiatrist can discharge him/her at any time during those 72 hours.

There are many possible outcomes following examination of the patient. This includes the release of the individual to the community, a petition for involuntary inpatient placement (what some call civil commitment), or voluntary treatment (if the person is competent to consent to voluntary treatment and consents to voluntary treatment.

Once you are admitted on a voluntary basis, the facility is authorized by law to detain you without your consent for up to 24 hours after you make a request to be discharged to determine if you meet the criteria for involuntary examination and treatment.  If you do meet the criteria for involuntary placement, a petition is filed with the court within two working days.

If you continue to meet the criteria for inpatient treatment, you will be given the opportunity to sign yourself in voluntarily.  If you decline to do so, the psychiatrist may initiate court proceedings for involuntary placement.