Services FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are a list of questions we are regularly asked.  If you have a question that has not been addressed in the list below, please contact us at our Main Center.

Outpatient Services

Will you fill out paperwork for SSI or disability?

We are unable to provide paperwork solely for SSI or disability.  We can provide documents to assist in your application process with a signed release of information form.  CSC Case Management can help file disability for individuals coming into the program.

Do you provide court-ordered appointments or fill out paperwork for the probation officer?

We do not provide court-ordered assessments only, we can provide court-ordered assessments with follow up treatment” .If you are a child, our Medical Records Department can provide attendance record and release documents to the court with a release of information (signed by a guardian) or a judge’s court order.

Do you provide transportation to your offices?

At this time, we do not provide transportation.  Medicaid may provide transportation, but you must check with your provider.

Does Northside provide Auxiliary Aids and Services to the Deaf or Hard of Hearing individuals?

Please see our full plan for providing auxiliary aids and services to clients for the complete answer to this FAQ.

For additional resources please visit:

A Baker Act allows for involuntary examination – what some call emergency or involuntary commitment.  It can be initiated by judges, law enforcement officers, physicians, or mental health professionals.  There must be evidence that the person:

  • has a mental illness (as defined in the Baker Act),
  • is a harm to self,
  • is a harm to others, or
  • is self-neglectful (as defined in the Baker Act)
How long can someone be held on a Baker Act?

A person can be held for involuntary examination for up to 72 hours.  If there is no evidence that the patient is a danger to himself/herself or others, the psychiatrist can discharge him/her at any time during those 72 hours.

What happens after the patient sees the doctor?

There are many possible outcomes following examination of the patient.  This includes the release of the individual to the community, a petition for involuntary inpatient placement (what some call civil commitment), or voluntary treatment (if the person is competent to consent to voluntary treatment and consents to voluntary treatment.

If I signed a voluntary, why can’t I leave whenever I want?

Once you are admitted on a voluntary basis, the facility is authorized by law to detain you without your consent for up to 24 hours after you make a request to be discharged to determine if you meet the criteria for involuntary examination and treatment.  If you do meet the criteria for involuntary placement, a petition is filed with the court within two working days.

What happens when the Baker Act expires?  Can the patient stay longer?

If you continue to meet the criteria for inpatient treatment, you will be given the opportunity to sign yourself in voluntarily.  If you decline to do so, the psychiatrist may initiate court proceedings for involuntary placement.

Community Support Center

How can I be screened for the Residential Program?

Any adult individual may be screened for our residential program by contacting the Residential Screener at (813) 972-2289

Leave a Reply